…becomes a mame-cabinet

The scrapmame cabinet is getting to a functional level. Today I was able to play a game of asteroids, pacman and galaga on it.
All the buttons have been wired up to the controller using screw terminals (kroonsteentje) for easy (dis)assembly.

Galaga running on scrapmame

Before getting there I had to do some creative wiring, as it seems I cut some corners with wiring up the controller. A few separate ground-points were connected, however this was causing interesting signals on the analog joystick axes. A lot of trial-and-error later it seems I have clean inputs from all buttons and the digital joystick.

I still need to hook up the second stick (which will hopefully arrive from DX this week), some buttons (insert coin, start game) and a usb keypad (for misc buttons). A set of speakers should also arrive this week, allowing the scrapmame to make a decent amount of noise.

Next week I’ll probably fit in the PC (I’ve been using my laptop for testing so far) and then I’ll start on the launcher/menu interface.

I’ll try to add some more pictures of the inside of the cabinet later.

… and some electronics…

After the woodworking on the scrapmame it was time for the electronics.

The first bit was unsoldering/cutting the wires on the sacrificed PSX controller and then connecting new wires to the solder-pads
first wires attached
The yellow wires are for the direction buttons, white for the 4 fire-buttons and blue is the common ground.

After a long soldering session the result looked like this:
The final product
A few more solder-pads were connected to ground wires (or each-other) and the red wires connect to the shoulder-buttons and analog-stick buttons of the PSX. The 2 new yellow wires connect to ‘start’ and ‘select’.

This would give me a total of 16 buttons wired to a single PSX controller. On the mame cabinet this will translate to a sets of 4 directional buttons and 3 fire buttons for each player (2 players) and 2 remaining buttons for ‘start’ or ‘insert coin’… I’m not too sure yet about what would be the ‘best’ combination.

Lastly, before calling it a night, I wired up the ground-connections on the joystick section, so I only need to bring 5 cables up to the stick ( and not 8 )
common ground on the joystick microswitches

Next time I plan to connect all the wires to plugs that connect to the buttons (still need to buy the correct sized plugs) and joystick microswitches (which you can see in the background of the first picture)

Some woodworking…

At Revelation Space I have been doing some woodworking for a project I’m working on. I’m normaly the guy with two left hands when it comes to working with heavy machinery and old-skool hardware, but I must say I’m not doing too bad.
It helps that revspace has more then enough of the necessary tools (at home I only have a hammer and a screwdriver :P)

The project is a self-built Arcade cabinet, which at this time has been called ‘ScrapMAME’, as it’s been built completely out of scrap-materials.
Step 1... getting lots of wood

I PSX Controller (pre disassembly)have built the frame and outsides of the cabinet from wood boards that were originally bolted onto the windows in the workshop, together with some wood beams that were still lying around the space.
The buttons and joystick have been ordered from DealExtreme, and the first batch has arrived. Hopefully my second shipment with the remaining parts will arrive soon.
I’m using this arcade stick, and these buttons from DX. The buttons will be wired to the pcb of an old PSX controller, which will be connected to a PSX->USB adapter.

2010/06/26: The buttons and joystick arrived, so I could finally drill the holes.
Unpacked the newly arrived buttons and arcade stick
Holes for the fire-buttons and joysticks

There is still lots to be done… which will be added as soon as I get to it ;P