Archive for May, 2008
Yesterday I bought a Playstation 3 with GTA-IV. I was able to find one on marktplaats for a nice discount, hooked it up yesterday and spent some time playing multiplay GTA-IV with Deckardt.
I’m almost back up to the point in the game where I left off on Deckardt’s account, but I need to spend some time studying tonight, so it’ll have to wait till tomorrow
Everyone’s free to drop by for some gaming… and I think I need to order Burnout Paradise sometime soon, the preview video’s looked very cool (and I’m a complete burnout addict)
In case you want to add me as a friend on the playstation network… my username is ‘maniacnl’
At work we use LTO-2 and LTO-3 tape-robots, which use barcodes to identify tapes. However, these barcodes can be very expensive and hard to come by. This made me look for a method to create the barcodes myself.
I’ve put my web-based version on a new page: Barcode Generator
I found Terry Burton’s ‘postscriptbarcode‘. Which is capable of creating the required ‘Type 39′ barcodes.
After mucking about in postscript (which is not something I do with pleasure…) for a while I got a decent working layout/method to create my barcodes. It can be automated even more, but I only need 1 or 2 sheets of barcodes, so I’ll leave this as an exercise for the reader .
- Download ‘postscriptbarcode‘, and extract barcode_with_sample.ps from it
- Remove the lines (near the end) between ‘Helvetica findfont’ and ‘showpage’
- Replace the lines with the output of genbarcodes.sh (included below)
- Preview the file in evince or a viewer of choice
- Print the postscript file, preferably on sticker-paper, cut and stick on tapes
The required barcode-lines can be generated with the following simple bash script:
for hor in 30 220 410
while [ $ver -ge 40 ];
printf -v FNR “(%06dL3)” $NR
echo “$hor $ver moveto $FNR (includetext height=0.55) code39 barcode”
Replace ‘BASE’ with the number where you want to start numbering, it is incremented by 1 for each barcode, and the barcodes are formatted with the number, filled to 6 digits, appended with ‘L3′. The coordinates are for A4 format paper.
The resulting pdf example of the above script.
I just updated my wordpress installation from the 2.0 branch to the ‘new’ 2.5.1 version. So for the time being it will look a bit bland and boring, until I get time to find/make a new theme.
It seems that all the posts and comments migrated correctly, the permalinks seem to work, and most images and media files have been taken along. If there are any broken links or you find any issues, please report them as comments to this posting.
Update may 19: Switched to a different theme, don’t know how long I’ll keep this one, but it looks a lot nicer then the default, and it is different from default, so that’s good
Update may 20: Added a Fring-me sidebar widget, you can now see if my phone is online, and if it is, chat (free) with me over my phone/fring.
Fixed the audio-files/flash-audio-player
This week I had a problem with mplayer on my ubuntu machine. Playing a movie at full-screen would only display it at 1024×768, while my desktop was at 1280×1024. Other XV and GL applications would also only use the top-left most 1024×768.
This was caused by Xorg detecting two displays, the connected Acer TFT, but also a LVDS (Laptop screen). This machine being a server/desktop system, there obviously is no laptop panel, but the gnome resolution applet would tell me there was.
The solution to this problem was to tell xrandr to disable the lvds output. I have not rebooted the system yet to see if this setting sticks (or maybe if that would have solved it in the first case) but I’ll report on that as soon as I know it.
The image below shows what it looked like in the gnome resolution applet (only this time from my laptop as the problem is fixed on the desktop)