I just ordered a new laptop at work… going for the ultra-portable this time, in stead of ultra-powerful. So the laptop that’s replacing my aging (>3.5 year old) Acer Ferrari 3000Lmi is the (pre-order) Sony Vaio VGN-TZ21XN.
I’ve been told it could be here on Monday or Tuesday… so I can spend some time re-installing it before going to my next client, as it won’t be running Vista for very long.
Sony won’t let me link to it directly, but pasting this URL twice will get you to the specifications (they check referer or a cookie or something)
* 11.1 Inch WXGA (1366×768 screen, LED backlight
* Core2 Duo ULV U7600 (1.20 GHz)
* 100GB 4200rpm disk
* 2Gigs DDR2 ram (1 slot)
* Intel video/wireless/chipset, bluetooth
* DVD±RW/±R DL/RAM drive
* Webcam in screen (vga, 30fps)
* Fingerprint reader
* UK Keyboard 🙁 (damn sony, only sells laptops with non-US keyboards in europe). It is the type used on the new macbooks.
My experience installing Ubuntu Gutsy on it should be here a day or so after I get it unpacked, as I just tried that (with crypted root) on my Acer Ferrari.